There are so many different wedding cake designs to choose from and 2016 looks set to be another exciting year for wedding cake designers. Here’s a quick roundup of some of the trends for this coming wedding season…
- Metallic / shimmer – from a hint of shimmer on flower petals to cascading sequins and individual tiers in metallic shimmer.
- Ruffles and frills – added to one or more tiers, ruffled hearts or cascading ruffles add a pretty touch and can be in a single colour, ombre shades or complementing colours. This style adds texture.
- Naked – a very popular style but needs careful consideration as it will dry out more quickly than a covered cake. The cake can be decorated with fruits and fresh flowers.
- White on White, Classical, Elegant – there is a return to more classical styles, with delicate piping detailing and Victorian elegance.
- Painted / Silhouette – hand painting on a wedding cake can make the design truly individual and a silhouette design can tell your story.
- Lace / Romantic – lace designs from wedding dresses can be matched on the wedding cake giving a pretty, romantic feel.
- Woodland / Rustic – simple styled cakes with a textured buttercream finish look beautiful decorated with burlap, lace, fresh or sugar flowers or woodland themed decorations.
- Sugar flowers – hand-made flowers to match bouquets are increasingly popular. This can be an exact copy of the bridal bouquet set onto the cake or matching cascading flowers, buds and petals.
- Half and half cakes or ‘reveal’ cakes – these cakes incorporate both the bride and groom’s ideas and can have two completely different halves or just include individual touches in the design.
- Different tiers – mixing up shapes, heights, colours textures on one cake can look stunning.
- Cake trio’s look set to be popular – rather than a three tiered cake set three different but complementing cakes on different cake stands. Decadent dessert tables look beautiful too and can delight wedding guests with lots of choice in flavours. Cupcake towers are still popular, giving each guest an individual cake.
- Tea Party / Vintage style cakes are still popular – these can be sophisticated and stylish or simple and pretty. Birds and birdcage style cakes complement these themes and signify love and marriage.
Your dream wedding cake is unique to you and should complement your perfect wedding day – have fun choosing your design!